Thursday, January 5, 2012

"All My Bags Are Packed, I'm Ready To Go"

All packed! It was difficult to put my life into two rolling duffel bags and a roll-on suitcase, but I managed, somehow. I leave tomorrow morning for Rome where I'll be spending two weeks visiting my aunt and uncle and girlfriend, Giulia. I am eager to return to Rome, a city that I hold deeply in my heart. I have been fortunate enough to travel/visit/live there many times over the years and consider it my second home of sorts. From Rome I'll fly to Johannesburg by way of Doha on the 23rd of January (arriving on the 24th). I'll have a week to settle into my house, find a car, figure out my cell phone, pick up boxes that I had sent to the consulate, et cetera before traveling to Pretoria on the 31st for a three-day orientation at the U.S. Embassy. 


In the meantime, I thought I would make this post a little more interactive - I'm looking for book suggestions. A few months ago I was on a South African literature/African literature binge (I wonder why?!), trying to read as much as I could to gain a deeper insight into the culture of South Africa (or other African cultures). I read: 

What other book recommendations do you have?



1 comment:

  1. Scott, although I have not read them all, they come highly recommended:

    A Dry White Season
    By Andre Brink
    This novel by one of South Africa's most prolific authors, set in the 1970s, brought the issue of deaths in detention to the notice of many who would rather have not known about it. When a white South African investigates the death of a black friend in police custody, he uncovers the brutal truth about apartheid South Africa. An interesting companion volume would be Cry Freedom, Donald Woods' non-fiction account of his friendship with Bantu Steve Biko, the Black Consciousness leader murdered in custody by police.


    Tomorrow Is Another Country
    By Allister Sparks
    Sparks is a veteran South African journalist and author of The Mind of South Africa. His account of the transition from apartheid to democracy is one of several, but undoubtedly the best. It describes, from behind the scenes, the process that began with tentative contact between the sworn enemies, moving through the unbanning of the liberation movements and the complex negotiations that led to SA's first fully democratic election in 1994.

    Selected Stories
    By Nadine Gordimer
    Winner of the 1991 Nobel Prize for Literature, Gordimer was for decades SA's literary conscience. Her stories are perhaps the best introduction to her work: they span the 1950s to the 1990s in this volume (British edition), moving from the city to the countryside and from the highest ranks of society to the lowest. With delicacy and power, they cast a bright light on the extraordinary lives led by South Africans of all races, and the nature of their interactions across colour lines and within them.

    A Place Called Vatmaar
    By AHM Scholtz
    The author came to literature late in life, but was hailed as the "Steinbeck of the coloured South African platteland" - and produced a bestseller that has now been translated all over the world. His novel, which is very close to actual history, tells the story of a village inhabited mostly by "coloureds", the mixed-race people of the Cape, from its earliest beginnings. The various characters of the village's history speak, telling their stories from their own perspectives to create a portrait of a whole community.

    ReplyDelete