Sunday, April 22, 2012

Don't Eat the Marshmallow

It's incredible to think that I've been here for nearly three months (on 26 April); it has been a wonderful journey so far and I have cherished the many new experiences. I am looking forward to my future work at the university as well as some exciting trips planned. This past week, Giulia and I finalized her trip in June. We are going on a two-week road trip, covering nearly 4250km, visiting: Kimberley, the Kalahari Desert (Botswana), Ai-Ais Springs, Fish River Canyon (Namibia), Cape Town, Stellenbosch (wine country), Oudtshoorn, Plettenberg Bay, Port Elizabeth, and Addo (Elephant Park). We're going with Gerhard and family for the first leg of the trip (Kimberely, Botswana, and Namibia), which should be a lot of fun… I think we'll get a merit badge for sleeping in the Kalahari with all of the animals! Also, I'm looking forward to seeing Onkel Theodor and Tante Magdalena in Cape Town, as well as our dear family friends, Raymond and Sylvia in Port Elizabeth. It should be an incredible trip!



I went to the University of the Witswaterand's theatre production of The Hypochondriac (or The Imaginary Invalid) by Moliere on Thursday. It was a hilarious, well-performed rendition; I enjoyed how they adapted the play, written in 1683 (French), to modern day South Africa as well. On Friday night, one of the Fulbrighters hosted a cocktail party for her birthday. Rob and Ben (from Pretoria) came down and we grabbed dinner before heading to the party. The party had a nice mixture of Americans, South Africans, and Dutch. On Saturday I headed to Benoni to see Gerhard and family and go to a East Rand Youth Orchestra fundraiser (Maike and Tasmin, Gerhard and Marlize's daughters play in the orchestra). It was a beautiful event at a country club; the orchestra had a performance, then there was wine tasting/snacks and mingling. The orchestra was wonderful - to be so talented at such a young age! It was great to see the family, support the girls, and talk about our camping trip next weekend (Pilansberg).


Marshmallows

I appreciate teaching the future educators at Wits because it allows for me to reflect on my own experiences in Chicago, with my Room 306 "Buckeyes." Last year at this time, as I was nearing the end of my Teach for America commitment, I was focused on finishing up the school year strongly and then moving on from Chicago. The "hectic-ness" of the end of the year, moving from Chicago, and leaving friends, did not present many opportunities for self reflection (or maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind). When I teach my New Literacies for Teachers course, I try to present my students with strategies, advice, and teacher stories in order to give the coursework greater meaning. This, in turn, has allowed me to reflect on my own teaching practices, my own failures, as well as successes.



I feel like my students were all taught in a similar style - very "hands off" and more traditional (e.g. copy notes on the board while the teacher sits at his/her desk, not being encouraged to think for oneself, et cetera). It has been a welcoming shock to hear my students' reactions to my teacher stories and/or advice. For instance, I shared with my student's one piece of advice I'll never forget, "get to know your students." Seeing my struggle during my first year of teaching, my assistant principal pulled me aside. He said: "Fry, you're thinking too much. The best way to get your students' respect and trust is to get to know them. Go throw the football with them, eat lunch with them… get to know their story." Now, this seems intuitive, but when confronted with the stresses of teaching, teachers often lose sight of the human-side of teaching.


One of my focuses this week was investment in the classroom. I encouraged my students to not only continually build a report with their students, but also invest them in their "plan" for academic success. A method I used with my Room 306 "Buckeyes" was the Stanford Marshmallow Experiment. I introduced my students to the experiment the first week of school, giving each student (in Chicago) a marshmallow. I told them that they could eat the marshmallow now or wait ten minutes, not eat their marshmallow and earn a second marshmallow. I watched some of my sixth graders struggle to control their over-excited mouths, with many students giving in (who could refuse a puffed cylinder made of high-fructose corn syrup?!). This experiment was the same model as a Stanford researcher in the 1960s. The researcher followed up with the same students nearly twenty years later and the results speak for themselves: those students who waited for the second marshmallow were overwhelmingly more successful (in terms of finances and education). Now, this is not to say that this is a foolproof experiment, but with sixth graders it's simple enough that they can grasp the concept. The point is, students who can exhibit self-control are more successful. I told them that there will be "things" throughout the year that they don't necessarily want to do (e.g. homework or study). If they persevere, they will be rewarded (higher grades, better high school, college admittance, graduation, good job). I used this as an investment tool throughout the year, with "Don't Eat the Marshmallow" signs around my classroom and the school (with the other classes having no idea what I was talking about). I modeled for my students at Wits the same investment strategy, which they really enjoyed (not just because I gave them marshmallows). At the end of the day, I think my university students gain more from these types of experiences. 
Poster for Room 306 Buckeyes



The Hypochondriac 
The East Rand Youth Orchestra Fundraiser






No comments:

Post a Comment