Sunday, August 19, 2012

Semester 2: Week 5

Another week! I felt refreshed and recharged this week as last weekend felt longer than it actually was (probably just the change of scenery that helped).

I feel as if these next two weeks are the "quiet before the storm" as the month of September is chalked full of activities, events, and numerous deadlines. The first week of September is our midterm break and I'm going with Ben (Pretoria) to visit the two Fulbrighters in Bloemfontein, Andrew and Nick. The following week, we have three weeks of "teaching experience" - student teaching - in which I'll be driving around Johannesburg observing my students teach. During that time, I have a few trips planned on the weekends: 1) Port Elizabeth with family friends (see last blog post), 2) Gerhard Family Reunion - spending time with Tante Magdalena's family (my great-aunt and great-uncle will be there), and 3) Mpumalanga rural teaching. The last week of the teaching experience, I was invited by my isiZulu teacher, who is also in my research group, to go to Mpumalanga to observe students teach in a rural setting. Each teaching experience Wits sends about 10-15 students to this rural providence to have a teaching immersion in an atmosphere atypical to the teaching experience placements of other students in Johannesburg. I feel as if this is a wonderful opportunity to see a different side of South Africa and give me a new perspective. Incredibly, after the month of September, I have four weeks of teaching left … then I grade examinations/finish final grades for the year, John comes, and "poof!" my Fulbright is over, where did the time go?

On Saturday afternoon I went over to Gerhard and Marlize's to stay with the girls while they went to the spa/dinner to celebrate Gerhard's birthday (from a few weeks ago). It was a relaxing afternoon - the girls and I decided to make a dessert, "frozen hot chocolate" a pudding of sorts to put over our ice cream. We went to the store, rented a few movies, and prepared the dessert (even dipping some strawberries for Gerhard and Marlize). It's always nice to spend time with them and I feel like a part of the family (well, we are family, but you get what I mean). On Sunday morning I got some work done and then went to read/relax at the  Melville Koppies, a beautiful park (I've written about it in the past). Good, relaxing weekend!

Ngiyahamba! 

No comments:

Post a Comment