Friday, March 16, 2012

Addition to the Family!

First of all, congratulations to my dear sister (Erica) and her husband (Andy) on the birth of their daughter yesterday (15 March) - Cadence Elisabeth Kimble. Although great distance separates us, I'm with them both in spirit!
------------
On Tuesday, I came into work to discover that there was no electricity on campus. I didn’t realize how reliant I am (we are) on electricity - I couldn't make copies, send emails, prepare lessons (online), and felt genuinely stranded. I sat in the staff lounge reading and was surprised at how many people came in looking for coffee … another casualty of the lack of electricity. Overall, things that I took for granted in the US/Europe are becoming more apparent. Internet, for example, is very fickle and slow. To make matters worse, most companies in SA charge you per megabit, rather than having "uncapped internet." I find that my cell phone randomly goes from no service, to no data but phone service, to full 3G speeds. Wild!

The Battle for Johannesburg: I watched an interesting documentary this week, called The Battle for Johannesburg. It chronicled the effort to start an urban renewal in downtown Johannesburg, using the World Cup as a catalyst for change. Unfortunately, the city has failed to provide proper housing for low-income citizens; because of this many squat in buildings and pay illegal landlords for "protection." I found it fascinating because the director interviewed both the illegal residents and the rightful owner of the building (who wanted to start renovating). Before the World Cup, the city had a plan to move the poor from the city and make it a pristine business-hub that people largely commute to (or live in upscale, urban apartments - basically, just get rid of the poor). Overall, it’s a complex situation, as builders/investors do not want to revitalize old buildings, when they are next to decrepit buildings, with illegal residents. The documentary gave me greater insight into the city and the many issues that it is facing. Watch the trailer: The Battle for Johannesburg

On Thursday I went to the Johannesburg Philharmonic Orchestra, which was conveniently playing on campus. They played Dvorak Water Goblin, op.107, (Vodnik), Pokofiev 
Piano Concerto No.3, op.26, C major, 

Berlioiz Symphony Fantastique, op.14, and had a guest pianist, 
Pallavi Mahindhara. 
I enjoy classical music - it's something that I've gradually started to listen to more and more, particularly when reading or writing. The concert was really great, the philharmonic first played Dvorak Water Goblin, op.107, (Vodnik), then most of the brass section left, leaving the strings and the pianist, who played the other pieces!


Before I could go to the symphony, I had to use an online system similar to Ticketmaster to get my ticket. The exception being that I couldn't print out my ticket, I had to go a grocery store and pick it up. I had some time in between meetings, so I went to pick up the ticket. I googled the nearest participating grocery store (Checkers) and found a few locations within 3 kilometers away. No problem! I set off, not realizing that I was heading downtown, more specifically, Hillbrow. Hillbrow is a very run down, dangerous area that was highlighted in The Battle for Johannesburg (Hillbrow) In fact, most of the documentary took place in Hillbrow. Not where I wanted to be. After navigating my way though Hillbrow, I arrived closer to city centre (I'm so British). I parked, paid the parking monitor, and set off to pick up my ticket. Walking up to the counter, I told the associate why I was there (to pick up my ticket) and I produced my receipt, which brought blank stares. Another associate walked up and told me that this was not a participating grocery store, it was "UCheckers" not "Checkers" (or something of the like). A knock off grocery store?

 A few tidbits from this week:
  • Zulu is going really well; I'm enjoying the way that we are learning the language, more auditory and applicable than my past language classes. We talked about numbers this week, which my professor is not stressing. Here's why: In order to say the number 39 in Zulu, you would say, "amanshumi amathethu nesiyakalolunye" … "amanshumi" is tens, "amathatu" is three (tens), "nesiyakalolunye" is "leave behind one from ten". Imagine just counting one to ten!
  • The course I'm teaching is fascinating, particularly because of the diversity in the class. I had the students identify their "home language" (mother tongue) - my students speak: English, Xhosa, isiZulu, Sesotho, Tsonga, Siswati, Setswana, Sapedi. We did an exercise where students wrote down the languages that they know and want to learn - it filled up the chalk board (with languages they know)! 
One of my favorite quotes (I put it up in my classroom) - basically, if your going to be somewhere, be there in mind, not just in body. Often in meetings or during conversations I get distracted or think about what I need to be working on. This is something that I've been personally trying to improve.
Linder Auditorium (at Wits) 



Guest Pianist, Playing with the Philharmonic


No comments:

Post a Comment