Sunday, May 20, 2012

Scott Fry: Not South Africa's Most Wanted

This was the last week of "Teaching Experience" for my students and I continued to enjoy observing, coaching, and reflecting. Overall, I was really impressed by my students' innate teaching abilities - they had the confidence needed to stand in front of a classroom and were receptive to feedback. Upon reflecting about my own teaching practices, I have to credit Teach for America for preparing me for this scholarship and giving me a strong methodological and pedagogical foundation. At the time, I was frustrated/overwhelmed by the demands that Teach for America placed on its corps members, but it really has value, which I'm able to see now.

A new development this week: I received a notice from the company I bought my car from regarding a ticket I received on the 5th of February (the car was still in their name and yes, it is mid-May). Interestingly, the notice that the company received from Johannesburg Metropolitan Police was the second notice sent, which increased the original fine. This meant that the company should have received a notice about the ticket in March. In any event, I did some research on how to appeal the fine because: 1) I thought that this was a bit ridiculous - if I would've received the traffic violations when they occurred, I would've been aware of my wrongdoing (and not subsequently done the same thing four more times), 2) I can try to plead ignorant American/"poor" scholar, 3) They have no proof of delivery of the fines. I found, on the Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences (AARTO) website, a statement that outlines how the Johannesburg Metropolitan Police are illegally issuing tickets. By law, they have to issue them by certified/registered mail, which they do not. It is just mind-boggling to me that a federal agency would say: "Do not pay the fines that you receive from a local authority." Can you imagine? (go ahead, try). With more conviction, I sent off my appeal.

Disclaimer from AARTO about Johannesburg Metropolitan Police

Disclaimer: I consider myself a good, safe driver. I received five tickets, three of which were from the same camera/policeman. Moreover, the five tickets occured in my first month of driving… I haven't had any since (in case anyone wanted to jump to conclusions).

On Saturday I went to Pretoria to visit Rob and Ben (Fulbrighters) for the night. It was really nice to spend time in Pretoria and get a "feel" for the city. I had been to Pretoria a couple times, but never really saw much of the city. Previously, I went to the Voortrekker Monument and the Union Building and then spent a few days in Pretoria at the beginning of my grant at an orientation (sitting inside a hotel "conferencing").

In any event, they live in Hatfield, which is a young, hip area near the University of Pretoria. We spent time in the afternoon at a local mall and then went downtown to walk around. Downtown Pretoria has a lot of architectural beauty and is much cleaner/calmer than downtown Johannesburg. For dinner, we went out for Indian (one of my favorites) before heading to Hatfield Square to grab some drinks. It was nice to get out of Johannesburg and check out Pretoria - it is always reenergizing, I feel (i.e. a change of scenery).

I'm looking forward to the upcoming week: the end of teaching experience and the Nedbank Cup Final (South African soccer league)/Johannesburg Craft Beer Festival on Saturday.

King Edward VII High School (Fun Fact: Golfer Gary Player's alma mater)
King Edward VII High School (what school doesn't have a garden and a coy pond?!)
King Edward VII High School  
King Edward VII High School (Harry Potter-esk)
St. Martin's School

Classroom at St. Martin's School

Task Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment