Monday, May 28, 2012

The Weather Is A-Changin'

Not an "earth-shaking" week at work; my students finished their student teaching on Wednesday and I had classes Thursday/Friday. It was nice to have students back on campus and get back to normal, except they only have one more week of classes before final assignments/examinations. I put together a slideshow for my class on Thursday about my experience teaching in Chicago - many of my students commented that they wanted to see my classroom, hear more about my experience, et cetera. I enjoyed reflecting while I made the presentation and sharing my experiences with my students.  Overall, I think they were shocked that there is poverty in America or that the poor educational landscape of Chicago/America is so profound. I wasn’t trying to be "Debbie Downer" but a lot of the students want to leave South Africa to teach in England or the US - my hope is that they stay and make an impact in South Africa where their help is needed (not that America/England don't need help - sorry, double negative).

Had a great time this weekend: On Saturday, I picked Rob and Ben up from the Gautrain (coming from Pretoria) in the morning and we headed to the "1st Annual Jozi Craft Beer Festival" with Ryan, Anna, and Micah (other Fulbrighters). It was a really "hip" event, with local breweries providing tasting, good food, and the weather was beautiful. We sat in the sun, talked, tasted beer, and enjoyed the atmosphere. In the afternoon, we headed to the Orlando Pirates Soccer Stadium in Soweto for the Nedbank Cup Final game between the Mamelodi Sundown and the SuperSport United. It was awesome to see the other Soweto Stadium (the other being the FNB/World Cup Stadium). I wasn't too terribly interested in either team, but it the game was a fun experience. Exhausted from the sun, the beer, and the soccer game, we had a low-key Chinese/Japanese dinner in Melville (my neighborhood).

On Sunday, Nick (Bloemfontein Fulbrighter) flew in from Europe, where he traveled with his girlfriend (originally from Chicago). Ben, Rob, and I waited for him to arrive at OR Tambo Airport ("Sawubona Nick" sign and all). While we were waiting, Neil Diamond's "Coming to America" was playing, which I thought was funny (and odd). After he arrived, Ben, Rob, Nick, and I grabbed lunch at a local mall before Ben and Rob took the train back to Pretoria. Nick and I went to Zoo Lake, a beautiful park. We talked for a few hours and soaked up the sun - I enjoyed catching up with him. He took the train to the airport on Monday morning to head back to Bloemfontein.

An exciting piece of news this week - John, one of my best friends, is visiting at the end of my scholarship in November (flying in from Sacramento - 9 time zones!). We're going to Cape Town for five days, spending some time in Johannesburg, then taking a eight day road trip to Swaziland, Mozambique, and Kruger National Park. It should be an incredible trip, a great experience to share together, and "last hurrah" before leaving. We both take off on the 29th of November, both arrive on the 30th of November to Detroit, and then both are in one of our other best friend, Vikrum's wedding on the 1st of December… will be a crazy few days (but exciting)! 




Jozi Craft Beer Fest
Orlando Stadium

Flyover at the game! 




Soweto

No comments:

Post a Comment