Thursday, February 16, 2012

Academic Week One


I really enjoyed seeing all of the students and the excitement surrounding the first days of school. I remember my first days of university, the unknown, the eagerness to meet new people, become involved, and perform academically. The course that I'm teaching met together for each session this week, giving the first-year students as sense of orientation. We had young South African authors come in to speak to the lecture; I enjoyed hearing their stories, as many were former Wits students.

Unsuccessful Part Deux: Monday morning, I woke up early and went to the vehicle licensing and registration office (my new favorite place!) before work. In South Africa, many businesses open early and close early (typically 7am to 3pm). I thought this was the final trip that I would make to the office, seeing that I had the correct forms; nothing could go wrong. Except for a burglary. I was waiting in line, when a motorcycle came speeding through the small pedestrian park situated on the property of the licensing and registration office. The man driving the motorcycle took his helmet off and proceeded to walk to the front of the line. Thinking to myself: "Who does this guy think he is?" He turned around and I saw a shiny silver badge. Oh. He announced to the crowd that no vehicle registrations were going to be made today - there was a break-in and robbery over the weekend. Before the office could reopen, they had to dust the office for fingerprints. Head down, I went back to my car, knowing that the battle had to wait yet another day.

Unsuccessful Part Three: I don’t meant to bore you with my troubles getting my car registered, but it's absolutely ridiculous! I apologize for my rant, if you care to, skip this paragraph :) ! I went to the car registration center on Tuesday morning, with what I assumed were the correct forms and supporting documents. As usual, I was bright and early, in the front of the line. I went to turn my registration form in and the associate told me that I first had to apply for a driver's license registration number (and corresponding license plate). I had to step out of line and fill out a new form. Went to the back of the queue to wait again. While I was waiting, an associate taped a sign explaining that no credit cards or debit cards would be accepted today, because their machines were down. I talked to a few people waiting in the line and realized that I didn't have as much rand as I needed for the registration. I ran back to my car, then went to a local bank ATM to draw money. Back in the queue. When I got to the window, a new associate was there. I proceeded to give him the forms. He examined my passport and visa, and then asked for proof of residence and employment (due to being a foreigner), which I did not have. Before I left, I asked the associate what all was needed to register and he told me that I would be "okay" after I got the two requested documents. Frustrated, but wanting to resolve the issue that day, I drove home to get my lease, a signed letter from Gerhard (landlord), and my Fulbright proof of employment. Back in the queue. After stamping each paper and making photocopies, the associate (the same one!) asked for two passport photos. I explained that he never told me about this requirement. He apologized and told me that I wouldn't have to wait in the queue after I got the pictures (wow, thanks!). I proceeded to go outside and a local had a shop set up for quick photos. Finally, he collected my documents and sent them to the supervisor. After waiting for the papers to be processed, the associate came out and told me that the supervisor wants a letter from the university (although I am funded through Fulbright). So: 1) Get a letter from Wits, 2) Return to licensing department and submit paperwork, 3) Wait three business days to be issued a license number, 4) Return to licensing department to collect number, turn in my registration, and 5) Get new license plates! I cannot even make this up!

Update: Things are "rolling" with regard to the car registration; I expect to have it all squared away by Friday afternoon (I won't bore you with the details)…it took some smooth talking, batting of my eyelashes, and then, in turn, some straight talking. After the experience, I feel like I know everyone in the office (the bright side, right?).

Botswana: Rather than write about my car, let me tell you what I am planning on doing with my car. This week, I talked to the other scholars in Pretoria, and Mariann, the scholar that I work with at Wits. We wanted to go to Gaborone (the capital of Botswana) for a weekend, seeing as it is only five hours away from Johannesburg. I plan on seeing other parts of the Botswana later in the year, but I also wanted to see the capital, and well, the distance makes it easy for a weekend. So, we booked the first weekend in March. The scholars from Pretoria will take the Gautrain ("gau" sounds like you are trying to hack something up from your throat - "ghaaa-train") down to Johannesburg and then we will drive to Botswana on Friday, March 2nd. We'll meet up with the Fulbright Scholar(s) that are in Gaborone and they plan on showing us the city!

Literature: From Jo'burg to Jozi, The White Tribe of Africa, Dog Eat Dog
For those book-friendly readers, I thought I would pass on a few South African books, in case you were interested. I read From Jo'burg to Jozi, The White Tribe of Africa, Dog Eat Dog over the last few weeks and I found them all very insightful, in their own unique way. To transform this blog into a literature review:
  •  From Jo'burg to Jozi - A collection of around fifty essays and poems from South African residents (both native and foreign). It gave me a lot of insight into the feeling of the city; the neighborhoods, the security, the craziness of the city, and its rich (literally) history.
  • The White Tribe of Africa - A nonfiction account of the Afrikaners in South Africa (recommended by Gerhard). Prior to reading, I had no idea about the history of the Afrikaner - only that they trekked across South Africa, proclaimed land, were murdered by native Africans and murdered Africans themselves. It gave me a lot of insight into their struggle, particularly with the English (read: concentration camps set up by the British during the Boer Wars). Although "Afrikaners" are polarizing, I thought it provided the necessary context to see the new South Africa.
  • Dog Eat Dog - A novel written by a graduate of the University of the Witswaterand. It chronicles a student at Wits, from Soweto (the largest/most popular township in Johannesburg) and his struggles balancing his life in the township and school. It was helpful for me, as I need to be cognizant of my students' diverse backgrounds.
I also wanted to pass along a poem that I read this week:


Johannesburg Mines - by Langston Hughes

In the Johannesburg mines
There are 240,000 natives working.

What kind of poem
Would you make out of that?

240,000 natives working
In the Johannesburg mines. 

Lawn Bowling 

Learning about the game - the rules and the strategies 
Getting ready to bowl


No comments:

Post a Comment