Thursday, February 23, 2012

Nginguthisa (I am a teacher)


Everything is in full swing here; it is still a little hectic, but I am sure that in the coming weeks I will get used to the routine. We (Mariann and I) are working with many different faculty members and offices, which expands our presence on campus, but also makes planning a bit more difficult (each department tends to have its own schedule). At the same time, I am eager to become as involved as possible on campus, fulfilling the Fulbright mission and growing professionally/personally.

A few interesting progressions:
  • I started attending a research class this week, taught by my mentor professor. I hope to develop my own research, either for a PhD application or for my own satisfaction.
  • I'll be leading a research committee at the writing center. Basically, I'll facilitate a weekly meeting for graduate students where we look and critique research, conduct peer reviews, and introduce our own research. The hope is that students can solidify their own proposals and help move their Master's/Doctoral proposals along. 
The overall focus during my Fulbright is teaching the new literacies course, leading the research committee at the writing center, taking an isiZulu course, taking a research course, helping with two projects ("20 day course" and societal innovation), and trying to shore up my own research project.

This weekend I'm heading to Pretoria for a "braai" (b-ry) - a cookout - at a professor from the University of Pretoria's home. The Fulbright ETAs met her (the professor) during a welcome dinner at orientation; she invited all of the Fulbright Scholars/ETAs from Johannesburg and Pretoria. I'm looking forward to my first "official" braai; a test run for a braai that my roommates and I are hosting in a few weeks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment