Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Haus Sagesse/University of the Witswaterand


Before I officially moved in, I wanted to make sure that my car was "good to go" and make some last minute errands. Gerhard and Marlize graciously hosted me over the weekend after orientation. Before I can register my car, I have to get a "road worthy test." Before I can pass the road worthy test, I have to have specific car repairs done/examined. In order to make sure that my car passed the "roadworthy test" I had to get the CV joint repaired and fix the "boot" license plate light. Gerhard and I dropped the car off Friday morning and unfortunately, it took the entire day to get both done (they weren't in a big rush). Their slowness gave me time to do laundry and unwind after the orientation. When the Gerhard, Marlize, and the girls got home we all went for a swim and relaxed in the jacuzzi! 

On Saturday I spent the morning taking my car to get new front tires, registering with the insurance, and getting a "roadworthy test." I didn't know what to expect with the roadworthy test - I was hoping that I didn't have to get other repairs (unseen) done before the car was officially registered. I arrived at the testing center and had to produce my passport. The mechanic saw that I was from America and was ecstatic, telling me about his trips to Atlanta, Florida, and the Bahamas. Another mechanic walked around the car, drove it on a platform to test the breaks and then walked underneath the car. Meanwhile, the first mechanic followed me outside and talked to me about his travels. I showed the utmost interest, knowing that he would sign off on the papers (not to say that I wasn't interested). The test took less than 10 minutes! I then spent part of the afternoon cleaning/waxing my car and making it feel "new". Rewarding myself with a job well done I took another swim with the family before a storm came. The weather pattern in Johannesburg is very tropical - it often storms in the afternoon. Johannesburg is known for its lightening storms, they take them seriously here; there have been a number of deaths and less seriously, electric/cable/et cetera affected. I really appreciate the lack of humidity and overall the weather is quite nice (even in the winter). In any event, in the evening Gerhard and Marlize went to Pretoria for a dinner at one of Gerhard's colleagues' homes. I took the girls out for "take out" - KFC (South African style) and then we watched Despicable Me (animated), played fingerboard (a billiards-like game), and looked at pictures of the family.

Sunday was the big move-in day! I packed the car, had breakfast and set off! Although I really enjoyed staying with Gerhard and family, it was time to be on my own and start the scholarship (well, officially).  A few of my roommates helped move me in and I unpacked most of the morning.  I enjoyed meeting my roommates and learning about their diverse backgrounds: they are graduate students at University of Johannesburg (near my house and University of the Witswaterand), from Zimbabwe, Cape Town, and Johannesburg. I picked up Mariann, the other Fulbright ETA at Wits, and we ran some errands (cell phone for her, pharmacy, groceries). She's living in university housing and trying to find an alternative quickly; the university charges an exorbitant amount for little space/amenities. I spent the later half of the afternoon cooking meals for the week, talking with the roommates, and getting everything organized.

This week was my first official week at the University of the Witswaterand, I spent the beginning of the week getting everything organized for classes on Monday (13 February). It took some time to set up my office, receive my ID badge, register for internet/get my email address (scott.fry@wits.ac.za), get a parking pass, recreation center pass, and meet my colleagues. This week is registration for the students; I have meetings and other duties to get ready for classes to start on Monday. I'll be teaching a course on literacy strategies, a module for first year education majors, with around 600 students. They all attend a lecture once a week, which is taught by a senior professor. Then the students are broken into 12 tutorial groups (taught by twelve professors) - I'll be teaching one of the tutorials. The tutorials meet four times outside of the lecture during the week. I'm also going to be involved in conducting research with professors (yet to be determined, I'm meeting with a few professors this week), working in the writing center, and taking isiZulu language courses! The campus is quite nice and it's "homey" - excited to see it full of students next week.

One of the books I'm reading, From Jo'burg to Jozi, is a collection of short stories, anecdotes, and poems about the city. I was struck by this quotation:

"Already Jozi, the continent's big apple, should lay claim to be the capital city of Africa, if such an idea makes sense. True, Lagos has more people, but the general area around Jozi, with eight million people, is richer. Africa's Manhattans is a square mile or so of a city suburb, Sandton. Nairobi or Kinshasa are more central in Africa, but greater Johannesburg is the heart of the continent's economy, employing one in eighth of all South Africans with formal jobs. Oil money aside, the largest chunk of foreign investment in Africa comes through South Africa and its businesses, most of them in and around Johannesburg."



Library

My House

Name: "Wisdom" (in French)



Office! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment