Sunday, February 12, 2012

From Jo'burg to Jozi

Great first week! I enjoyed learning about the campus, meeting my colleagues, figuring out my schedule, and getting my office in order. It is nice to get back into a "groove" of sorts, with a lot of my lingering questions answered. I attended a multitude of meetings throughout the week with the department, specifically with the cohort I will be teaching with (see last post), and with individual professors. I also volunteered to represent my department on three committees: library, website, distinguished scholar, throughout the year. Although they aren't the most prestigious, I'm interested in seeing the interworking of the university and making decisions that impact students/faculty/facilities.

The biggest challenge of the week was trying to weave my way through the variety of opportunities presented to me (and other Fulbright ETA). We were introduced to the entire division, explaining our background, and our purpose at Wits. Understandably, many professors from different departments reached out or were introduced to us. Although we are teaching a course, working in the writing center, and taking isiZulu courses, we still want to have a larger impact on campus (both for Fulbright's sake and for our personal/professional growth).  So I enjoyed every opportunity to meet with professors, hear about the opportunities in their office, and talk to them about their research. As the first week of school unfolds, I think the additional projects that I will be working on will become clear.

Overall, I've felt very welcome at the University of the Witswaterand and I look forward to this academic year. The faculty/staff have been helpful and have gone out of their way to make sure that we (Mariann and myself) feel welcome. They also got us involved right away, in many facets of university life.

Unsuccessful. On Thursday, I tried to get my car registration taken care of as well as get a South African bank account. The former should be easy enough, just take my "Vehicle Registration and Licensing" form to the licensing department, right? I made sure to get the office early (it opened at 7:30am) so that I would have enough time to get to campus before a 9:00am meeting. I trekked through the city and had difficulty finding the office. On their website and ten or so subsequent websites, they only listed cross-streets, not a physical address. This made it much more difficult to locate with my GPS, not to mention that the building wasn't at the cross street. I drove around the area, stopping in a petrol station and a library to ask for directions. I finally found the building tucked away, but unmarked. As one of the first in line, I entered the desk, took out my forms and asked for a new car registration. The teller nicely told me that I didn't have the necessary papers. When you sell/buy a car, both the buyer and the seller have to turn forms into the South African DMV. The seller already did that, last week, which officially meant that the car is mine. He replied that I needed the old (the seller's) registration. Defeated, I drove to campus and knew that this battle would have to wait for another day.

My second attempt of the day was opening a South African bank account. Marlize (who works at ABSA - a popular South African Bank - part of Barclay's Group) put me in touch with one of her colleagues, who in turn, called the local branch to let them know I was coming in (and to help me with this issue: temporary, non-resident, wanting a bank account!).  I wanted to open up an account after being killed by Bank of America's international fees. To make a long rant short, Bank of America has partner banks in other countries that Bank of America customers can use with no additional fees (except for the foreign exchange conversion). Unfortunately, Bank of America does not have any partner banks in South Africa. So, I get charged a fee each time I draw money from an ATM and then a percentage of the amount. So, to avoid fees, which over a year, really add up, I wanted to open an account. I marched into the ABSA, met with the customer service representative that was notified of my coming, and gave her my paperwork (passport, university ID, and lease). Apologetically, she informed me that ABSA has a specific form that the landlord has to fill out to confirm residency (a government regulation). With another defeat under my belt, I knew that this too, would have to wait for another day. Understandably, this is/was frustrating, but it's not a "South African" or an "African" thing - it just goes to show me that the DMV and banks are both not high on the "likeable" list internationally too!

Over the weekend, two of the ETAs from Pretoria came down and we met to go to the "1st Annual Johannesburg Film Festival," a three-day festival with a multitude of films.  There were two locations, one downtown, and the other in Kensington (a suburb close to Johannesburg), at the "Kensington Bowl and Tennis Club". Two films particularly struck me, The State of Violence and The Battle for Joburg. We attended the former, a feature film about a fictitious South African politician from Alex (a township). Although he was successful (and wealthy), moving out of the township, he had a scarred past. He murdered a man in the township during the freedom of political parties in the early 1990s. Seeking revenge, the murdered man's son murdered his wife. I know, I know, gruesome. The movie was about the man seeking redemption and realizing the revenge can destroy you (It was not as violent as I made it out to be). 

After the film, we were getting ready to leave, watching the members lawn bowl and two members of the club asked us if we wanted to try. Eagerly we agreed and she took us to the field, explained the rules, the technique, and let us try playing a game. It was a lot of fun! It's like "Bocce Ball" - but on a golf course green and about forty yards in length. We played for about an hour and a half, rapidly getting better and better. I was blown away by their hospitality and welcoming; another member stayed with us for our match, giving us tips and strategies, because the game is also very mental. In any event, it was a great cultural experience and we are welcome to come back any time!

On Sunday, I went out for a birthday lunch with Gerhard and family. Tasmin's (their youngest) birthday was on Wednesday (same as my dear Sister!) and they celebrated it over the weekend. Marlize's sister's family and her parents also came; we had a wonderful lunch at a local Mediterranean grille. It was really nice to be included in the celebration and I always enjoy spending time with them. 
Bedroom - looking out into living room
Hallway to bathroom kitchen (2 bedrooms on left, one on right)





Backyard
Wits






No comments:

Post a Comment